Friday 7 February 2014

Oh dear! My first cockup


Oh dear! I tried to simplify the appearance of the blog and I like it better now, but in so doing I lost my first post  ‘Dipping my toe etc’ it was a sort of introductory piece and now I can’t find it  – ANYWHERE.  So I’ve pinched a bit I did to start my blog on Goodreads.

I actually hate writing about myself, I suppose it's because I was brought up to be modest in an almost self denigrating way such were the ideals of my mother. My father left my upbringing to her and she was my biggest influence. At nineteen I escaped into a fortunate marriage, fortunate because against the odds it worked, lasted and opened my horizons. Since then I have lived over most of the UK, Germany, France and Saudi Arabia it all depended on where my husband Mike was working. Do not imagine for one minute that I was the obedient wife dragged from pillar to post. I was and am an equal partner in our marriage not working but enjoying the experience of living where ever we were.
This is where the inspiration for my books developed, from the places we lived and the people we met. I would not claim that any of my characters are facsimiles of people we knew rather they are an amalgam of many but typical of the area from which they are drawn.

So far I have written five books the fifth about to be published as the last book in a trilogy call the Evergreen series which follows the life of an unwanted child from birth to retirement. After living with her through three books I just couldn't end the last book with her death.

The second book I wrote 'Seducing Judi' followed the fall of a married young woman of Irish extraction seduced by an ex-soldier with brain damage. He becomes obsessed with making her suffer for all the wrongs he believes he suffered in Ireland at the hands of the IRA.

My first book was written in Saudi Arabia and is a romance of the Romeo and Juliet genre called 'Inshallah'. A Saudi girl and an English boy fall in love across the divide of their cultural and religious differences which lead to extreme situations when their romance is discovered by her brother. For anyone who knows the Saudi culture will realize the danger that this situation put the girl in.

Perhaps in a later blog we will investigate these books further. For now I will close as this is my first blog with the hope you enjoyed it and will come back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment