Thursday 28 August 2014

Mike's Saudi (8) Three more wives


I realised the other day these blogs I’ve been writing are all of times in the 1970s and 80s much will have changed and in the Middle East, it will be a very different world to the one I knew out there. I feel that Syb and I were out there at a most interesting time a time which is now lost as is much of the world of my youth in England. It is odd that in my last year or two out there, relationships seem to be changing hardly noticeable but a slight estrangement in the way friendships continued. It was hardly noticeable but I believe the religious authorities were worried about the increasing influence of the west not in a religious way but more life style and aspirations most of which were frowned upon by the Koran. Or was it the seizure of the Grand Mosque in 1979 that eventually turned the tide?

I believe the Koran specifically forbids Muslims from trying to convert others to Islam, but as is in their nature my Saudi friends were keen for me to become a Muslim and although they couldn’t try to convert me directly there were other ways in which they would try. One of these was for me to become a Saudi national which would mean I would have to become a Muslim. I loved their way of life as an outsider but to live in a country where the law and culture is bound to the Koran and to learn the Arabic language would be a great strain for one who had been brought up in conservative England, although financially I would have gained tremendously. My problem was to explain without hurting or offending my friends that I really wasn’t Saudi material. I thought I had a fool proof plan I would explain that Syb, who had many Saudi lady friends who lived in large family circles, would be lonely living without the support of her family. “No” my colleagues said “Marry three more wives then she would have a family to be company for her”.

Somehow I didn’t think Syb would approve but it was the way of their religion to allow a man four wives at the same time. The theory was that men need more satisfaction and four wives would avoid adultery, however another three wives would be very expensive, even at that time, and tiring, as all of them would be required to have equal status as instructed by their religion. I thought it better to encourage my colleagues believe my excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment