Thursday 9 April 2015

Mike's Saudi (37) Events that changed my working life



The report on the American contract that had done Mansour and myself so much good had been widely talked about. So when Abu and I visited the supply squadron their training control asked us if we could do a similar report for them, we checked with our captain who was enthusiastic and gave us the go ahead. Abu had only just started with me so it rested mainly on my shoulders but he was with me most of the time hopefully learning his trade.

We acted as Mansour and I had done previously, Abu talked to the Saudi trainees and I to the American contractors. There was no one missing from the contract this time but the discipline was appalling most of the work was being done by the contractors as the trainees were absent. The personnel in the training control were so frustrated that they had to let training slide or fabricate results, from the training point of view it was a very unhappy ship. Naturally when we eventually wrote our report we highlighted this failing which was from the top officer to the lowest recruit. In our office Khan our redoubtable Pakistani read the report which I felt was measured and fair. “Mr. Mike this will get you into big trouble. You may be right but it is criticizing the Saudis they will cause you trouble”. I felt it was right if we were ever going to get the stores personnel trained to work properly someone needed to do something about it. (How young and foolish was I and how old and wise was Khan)

Abu and I showed the report to the new boss and went through it with him in detail explaining my reasons for each criticism he was delighted and immediately circulated it to the contractors and his Head Quarters. He phoned for an appointment with the top officer in Supply, later on he, Abu and I went on to the meeting in the officer’s office. We watched as our new boss went through the report (giving credit to me) with the Prince who was the top officer in supply. The Prince gravely nodded at each point without comment, when the boss had finished, he thanked us for coming and we were dismissed.

Naturally the report was actually fair as seen from the American contractor’s point of view and they embraced it. At least it would allow them to do some training. Our next event in the chain that was to develop was we had a visit from members of the RSAF Riyadh Head Quarters together with their advisors and the report was white washed and the Supply Squadron continued as before. Next our new boss was replaced with a Major who was thought to be safe, Abu Garda was moved to another office where he was totally bored, the American contractors training manager was fired and I became in effect the new Majors secretary. I think I was lucky to have been saved if somewhat emasculated. As it turned out it was a job I grew to love.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment