Friday 16 September 2016

Air Raid Precautions

 This week we bought four DVD’s of World War Two not news reels or documentaries  but film for the theatre made just after the war and based on war books written by or about RAF personnel to give me a flavour of the times. The films were the Battle of Britain, Dam Busters, 633 Squadron and Reach for the Sky. Together they give a very favourable picture of the war if you’re British however we know from our time in Germany the general population there had their troubles too. I hope to pick this up in the chapter I’m researching now as one of my characters has the miss fortune to be shot down. But I want to try to give both sides a fair showing, it wasn’t particularly easy for the average man and woman in the street to avoid being caught up in some of the desperate plans of the Nazi party not as participants but even as bystanders.

The research I have done so far has been fascinating in itself, war is a terrible thing for the people of all the involved countries and the way they faced it, to the solutions they found. The other night we watched Battle of Britain and in it the air raid siren gave the warning of attack, both Mike and I felt a cold deep disturbance in our stomachs it’s amazing after so many years it still haunts you.

No comments:

Post a Comment