Friday 14 March 2014

Meg my first Newfoundland


 
I am writing a book about life with my Newfoundland dogs, I had four of them two and two it will be all in the book but I thought that a bit of background and tribute to my first and only bitch could be interesting. She was almost a rescue puppy when I got her; previously looked after as many dogs are by people who hadn’t taken the trouble to learn about them. I don’t know their reason for getting her in the first place but I bet it was an emotional decision taken because she looked cute or recommended by a friend. Sadly their ignorance rather than cruelty would affect the rest of her life and mine.

At the time she arrived I didn’t have to work, we lived in a rural community and at the end of a very quiet lane. In fact a pretty good place for Meg and I to get to know each other. From the start she seemed to know that this was her home and that she was amongst friends. With my husband Mike out at work all day, we could, and did, spend all day together. It may sound odd but I would talk to her all the time not as mistress to dog but as if she were another adult human being. The strangest thing is that she gradually learnt to sit and listen and I believe take an interest in what I was saying at least she always looked attentive. We used to play games together round the house or she would go swimming in the local stream with me on the bank encouraging her or go for short walks. We didn’t need a lead or collar as she would always stay close to me and as time went on I had a strong feeling that she was taking responsibility for me,

After a few months I no longer viewed Meg as a dog she became a friend, now not only did I talk to her but I believe she used to answer. Not verbally of course but in my mind I knew what she was thinking simple things like “this is fun, what’s this? I’m tired, let’s go for a swim, I love you etc” it was more than just her behaviour that told me, I knew. We became inseparable and did virtually everything together. Later when I was given a second Newfoundland puppy a Landseer dog she helped me bring him up and train him, she would box his ears if she felt he was misbehaving, in fact he was more in awe of her than me. I should mention that she also mothered him from his arrival and in many ways looked after him. But to me she was always working with me as a partner in his education not as another dog.

Meg was very special, with no other dog have I ever had the understanding that we shared. Later I started my own business and didn’t have as much time to spend with the next generation of Newfoundland pets. Who knows it might have happened again but somehow I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment