Friday 7 March 2014

Tedder the timorous



When we returned from Germany, and finally out of the Air Force, Andy was still alive much subdued and better trained by my father in law He was getting an old dog and it was getting increasingly difficult for him to walk. He had a cancer growth in his back leg, and when it got too bad for him to go on we said goodbye to our old friend.

It was a time of much turmoil having left the Air Force we were staying with my in laws in a small bungalow, looking for a job, looking for a house with a young daughter and no dog. It seemed horrendous at the time but within a few months we had sorted ourselves out and had a house of our own, a job, and a daughter in school. It was time to look for a dog. Mike had found a job in Yorkshire and one of the staff there knew of a litter of puppies, after a minimum of discussion we arranged to see them. They were German Shepherds twelve weeks old and of the litter only two were still unsold, both dogs. We had really wanted a bitch as they are generally more affectionate but one of these pups took a fancy to Mike’s shoelaces and wouldn’t leave them alone. I know it’s an odd way to choose a dog but we paid for him, he came home with us and joined the family.

Tedder at the time was about six inches tall a furry little puppy but definitely had a German Shepherd look about him. Now the breed has had a bad image, usually shown as guard dogs, police dog, quelling rioters and that sort of thing. My mother was much influenced by this reputation, so when we took Tedder to meet her we wondered what would happen. As she opened her door to us this little midget of a dog stood on the threshold with one ear up and the other down, he barked at her. She moved back a pace saying “He’s vicious” I doubt that Tedder at the time could have opened his mouth wide enough to bite her big toe then. Later they became good friends and she would accidentally on purpose drop a slice of meat on the floor when she was carving the joint. This was later questioned in his mind when a pickled onion fell off the working top and he swallowed it, the taste was not what he expected.

Tedder was a very gentle dog, always eager to avoid a fight and other dogs. At one time he cut his side rather badly, it had to be stitched and it was rather tightly done. When the stitches were out, it left him walking with an exaggerated swing to his bottom, this together with his gentle nature made him seem effeminate, much to our initial amusement. But he was lovely and loving dog with one exception.

Mike was away in Saudi Arabia and I took to having Tedder in the bedroom with me at night but not on the bed you understand. One night I heard a bump which woke me, assuming it was the dog I shouted at him to lie down and went back to sleep. In the morning I found that the house had been broken into. The intruder had been disturbed by my shout and left without leaving too much of a mess. Tedder had slept through the event but when the police arrived he refused to let them in. In fact I had to lock him in the kitchen so they could come in to talk to me. As they said “He should have done that last night”

A little later on I went to join Mike in Saudi and Tedder went to stay with my long suffering in laws. I believe he was happy with them unfortunately he died before our return.

No comments:

Post a Comment