Thursday 22 May 2014

Respect your dog


In writing my latest book I researched, joined groups of dog owners and generally got myself back into the flow of things; on the net of course. It maybe me but there did seem to be a large proportion of dog owners who were treating them as things rather than intelligent animals, and in some cases a total lack of understanding. I suppose that in this material world we must come to expect it but I do feel that we lose a lot of joy that way. I know that Meg who I could spend all my time with differed from Hogan who suffered because I was working all the hours God sent. I tried to find time for him but I never bonded with him as I had with Meg and as a result I believe we both lost a great deal.

I envy the people who use dogs as in ‘dogs for the blind’ or work with dogs as in Customs and Excise or the police because they have the opportunity to really get to know their dogs, and in some cases rely on them. To me this must be the ultimate relationship. One thing is evident in these and in many domestic cases dogs too, like to work and usually show much pleasure in doing so. I know that I had to try to find jobs for my lot to do and once they had a job to do they guarded it most jealously. One of the jobs was to take the peg bags out to the line when I put the washing out to dry and if anyone tried to usurp them they would become such a nuisance insisting on fulfilling their duty.

In the same vain there are those who through ignorance feel they know how animals feel and treat them in totally inappropriate way. I had a friend who had no children but had a couple of Pekinese and treated them as her children, it was pathetic. I believe they were completely confused they were dogs but were not allowed to be; with a misses who made a fool of herself. There are those who consider showing dogs as cruel, William was the only dog we showed but to his dying day (literally) when we got his show bag out he would run around excitedly wagging his tail not the reaction of a dog who felt tortured by the event.

Dogs deserve to be treated as dogs, respected and understood. If you plan to have one or indeed own one, learn as much as you can about them not just their welfare but their mental needs and above all enjoy life with them not by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment