Thursday 31 July 2014

Mike's Saudi Four - The weightlifter


I was asked to photograph a Saudi weight lifter as he tried to beat the Saudi record, I have no idea what classification he was in or the weight he was to lift all I know is I couldn’t have lifted it unless I had a JCB. It was at a local sports day, I stood in front of him as he prepared himself for the lift, camera ready, he bent to grab the bar, lifted the weights on to his chest, then pushed the bar above his head. Snap the picture taken as he stood there with every sinew and muscle in his body straining to hold steady the load. It was in the days of film cameras and I had to take it away to be developed and printed.

I was so pleased with the results, it had been taken out doors and the sun gave texture to the bulging muscles the Saudi record the face strained with effort captured, I had a wonderful picture for him. Later in the day I showed him the print of it, he looked at it sadly “Mr Mike” he said “I am not smiling, we must do it again so I can smile when you take the photograph.”

True enough he organised the lift again, it followed the same procedure as before except that when he was struggling to hold the weight above his head for a brief millisecond he smiled and thank heavens I managed to catch it. The final print showed a strong man lifting the Saudi record weight and smiling as though it was as light as a feather. Perhaps he was right to insist on taking it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment