Thursday 3 July 2014

Today and yesterday


I just read my last blog through about the changing world, it took me back to when I was first married when the thought of someone killing someone was totally shocking and seemingly rare. I wonder if it is really the improvement in the media that brings every action of ours into the full glare of the spotlight or that life was always so callous. We often hear that in much earlier times life was cheap and I have no doubt it really was but after the last world war and during the time of conscription I believe that for a short time life was friendly helpful we were comrades. Our wants were simpler, we were less materialistic and satisfied with a much simpler life style.

There seem to me that the reasons for the change in attitudes are the easy ways in which we can get credit and so satisfying dreams more readily, and so increasing our wants still further. Our first car was a 1934 Morris Eight open tourer it cost a princely sum of £25 we couldn’t really afford it but it came after years of cycling and walking. I learned to drive in it double declutching and all. I should mention that it was our only car and it was old when we got it, of course! Now youngsters aspire to cars as soon as they are old enough to drive and who can blame them they live in a competitive society and relatively easy availability, not only that but Mum and Dad have a car each, so why not me?

Me - there’s a word, it seems to be the driving force of today’s population, from youngest children we teach personal gratification. The children of my modern family have an ever increasing mound of toys to play with; most ignored after a very short time in favour of some digital device whilst the adults are out at work to earn more; to buy more gratification for the family.

When life was simpler it didn’t require the income to support the ever competitive life style of today, for one thing there were less things to buy, and for some products rationing still existed and the gap between rich and poor was accepted. It was in other words less stressful, I accept that it is impossible to go back delightful as it was in my memory, but I am so grateful that my life spanned that time.

Now I live in the country, not as a recluse, as I keep up with the news and join in the local events but it is peaceful here and a wonderful place to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment