Thursday 1 October 2015

Mike's memories Sliding home on my bottom

When we left Wellesbourne I was posted to Cosford a very busy base at the time and I was to teach at the School of Photography there. However there was no accommodation  for married families, so I eventually found a little cottage in the hills 34 miles away. Quite a commute, at the time I had no driving licence, so I bought a small motorbike (a BSA Bantam) to do the journey each day. It was of course second hand and had developed several idiosyncrasies before I got it.
The first problem to emerge was a tendency to blow the lights if the revs went up to what we might term normal travelling speed. It did not affect the commute when we first got there but as the winter drew on I took to waiting for one of the long distant coaches to come along and I would tuck in behind it and follow it lightless down a main trunk road till we came the junction where I turned off for home. If there was no moon I would wait for some other vehicle to follow, they were exciting days!

Another time I had left camp early as it was winter and the roads were icy. Naturally being young and inexperienced I had convinced myself that if you were confident you could ride at normal speed without mishap. This proved fine until I came across an unexpected sharp right hand turn, taken by surprise I applied my breaks. Next I was sliding along on my bottom following my bike as it went through a five bar gate making a hole for me to pass through shortly afterwards. Naturally the contretemps had bent the front forks but it was still ride able if you aimed off to the left, a technique I maintained for the rest of our stay. (Failing several driving test because of it). Next day on my way home there was a large notice reading “For the love of Mike turn right” my students had heard about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment